2013 THUNDER CAR RULES
The purpose of this division is to provide an inexpensive way for a beginner to get into stock car racing.
1. All thunder cars must be strictly stock for make and model of car.
2. Car must weight 3,400 lbs.
3. Top five may be weighed immediately after the feature.
4. Inspections may be made at anytime at the discretion of track officials.
1. The stock steel unaltered floor pan, stock front firewall will be used only. Stock wheel wells must be retained in rear.
2. No holes in the hood, roof or trunk lid. Hood will be kept in place at all times. All stock sheet metal will be mounted on car at all times.
3. All doors and body panels will be welded together.
4. A complete firewall must seal trunk from drivers compartment. 16 Ga. Sheet metal min.
5. The only modifications to the floor pan, firewall or trunk floor are for repair of rust areas or to install fuel cell in trunk. All holes in driver’s compartment must be covered with minimum of 16 Ga. Sheet metal.
*Fuel cell will be mounted in trunk area, between frame rails. Stock gas tank will be removed.
*Fuel cell must be above center line of differential housing or 12” above ground, whichever is higher.
* Max. 18 Gal. fuel cell
6. Trunk floor may be cut to accommodate fuel cell. Minimum of 2-12 GA. 1 ½” safety straps
7. No spoilers allowed
8. Aftermarket nose panel permitted.
9. Stock style bumper only if nose and tailpiece are not used. Bumper will be securely attached in place in stock location welded to frame rails. No front or rear bumper shocks allowed.
10. Ballast will be allowed, but must be bolted to frame or to cross member rails. All ballast will be painted white with number of car in contrasting color.
11. No Uni Bodies
WINDSHIELD AND GLASS
1. All glass, headlights, tail lights must be removed prior to arrival at the track.
2. No broken glass shall be in the car. Car must be swept clean.
3. Full 3/8” bars minimum, in front of driver. 4 bars minimum. 3/8 solid bars with wire mesh
1. Engine block will be stock O.E.M. small block passenger car, for make and model of car.
· No 400+ engines. 350 C.I. Small block only for make and model of car. 350 C.I. Ford, 360 C.I. Chrysler
· Block numbers will be checked. All blocks will have legible numbers
2. Stock from carburetor oil pan.
3. Aftermarket air filter permitted
4. Engine will be mounted in stock O.E.M. position.
5. Stock rear transmission mounts only, with stock transmission mount cross member, bolted to frame.
6. Must idle stock – 850 RPM maximum
7. No engine swapping between make and model of car
8. No external vacuum canisters.
9. After market motor mounts allowed.
Steel stock heads only. No after-market, bowtie, or aluminum heads. No port work allowed. No roller rockers. Stock for make and model of car.
Must be strictly stock for make and model of car. Cast iron intake manifold only. No high-rise truck or marine type intakes allowed. No porting or polishing of any kind allowed. You will pull carburetor to inspect intake at track official’s discretion.
1. Cast iron O.E.M. stock for make and model of car. No modifications, no porting or polishing allowed. 2. Exhaust must terminate behind driver and within 18" of differential housing.
Carburetor must be stock O.E.M. for make and model of car.
*O.E.M. carburetors for Ford and Chrysler products, for make and model of car will be allowed
*Holley 2 BBL – 4412 – 500 C.F.M., with stock1.378” maximum venture bore allowed.
*4 BBL to 2 BBL adapter allowed, ¾” height maximum
*No double pump carburetors allowed
*After market filters allowed as long as it will not require cutting hole in hood to fit on motor
*Gas City I69 Speedway 2 barrel Rochester is legal.
2. No header
1. 93-octane pump fuel, maximum allow only
2. Stock manual fuel pump mounted in stock location on engine. Must shut off fuel supply to engine when engine is not running.
3. No electric fuel pumps allowed
4. All fuel lines routed through drivers compartment will be enclosed inside rigid tubing from bending rear firewall through front firewall and sealed at both ends.
1. No dual point distributors
2. Stock coil in stock location, must use stock distributor
3. Battery must be securely mounted inside plastic battery safety box. Plastic battery case will be securely mounted to frame or roll cage bars behind driver’s seat. Battery box top will be securely mounted to battery box
4. Battery lines running from battery through front firewall will be mounted in flexible tubing, i.e. garden hose, etc. and sealed at both ends
5. Ground wire will be directly to frame or roll bar
1. 350 turbos, power glides, stock manual, cast iron
*No aluminum cases
* No Berts, Brinns or Falcoms
* No aluminum flywheels. Must be stock single plate clutch
1. Stock radiator in stock location
2. Aluminum or plastic radiator allowed
3. No electric fans
REAR END DIFFERENTIAL
1. Post traction limited slip, locked or welded, spider gears allowed
2. 9” Ford rear end differentials allowed in non-Ford cars. Floaters will be allowed.
1. No altering of stock brakes allowed
2. Brake pedal must remain in stock location
3. Cars must have fully functional brakes on all four wheels
4. Rear disc brakes allowed. Brake assemblies must be in stock location on all four corners
5. No brake bias or proportional valve permitted
6. One O.E.M. master cylinder only for make and model of car
1. Body and frames must be O.E.M. stock for make and model of car in O.E.M. location. No switching or shifting of any body parts allowed.
2. Complete bumper-to-bumper O.E.M. stock frame for make and model of car, other than repairs needed to repair areas due to rust or damage
3. Repairs to stub must retain exact O.E.M. measurements for make and model of car
1. O.E.M. stock suspension only for make and model of car. Front A-frames and rear suspension arms, O.E.M. stock for make and model of car
2. No coil-over, overload, cargo ratchet or air assisted shocks permitted
3. Racing shocks permitted must fit in same brackets as O.E.M. stock, front and rear, for make and model of car.
4. Racing springs allowed, must maintain stock O.E.M. frame and body heights for make and model of car
5. Metric cars can reinforce O.E.M. upper A-frames only. Tubular upper A-arms are allowed.
6. No lift bars or recovery shocks or spring recoils allowed
7. No screw jacks
1. Reinforce racing type wheels mandatory. Right rear bead lock only
2. Maximum wheel width is 8”
3. One-inch lug nuts are mandatory
4. Any loss of tire and or tire & wheel requires a driver to find safety or pull off of racing surface to infield or exit track immediately
1. No grooving, sipping or soaking allowed
2. Absolutely no racing tires, disguised as DOT street tires allowed
3. Must run 70 series DOT approve, 15” DOT name brand tires on 8 “ wide rim (maximum)
4. Maximum tire is 255 – 70 – 15
GAS TANK INSTALLATION
1. Fuel cell mandatory. 18 gallon maximum capacity. Bracing in trunk permitted
2. Fuel cell will be mounted in trunk area, between frame rails with 1 ½” clearance on all four sides. Minimum of two 12 GA X 1 ½” wide safety strapping, mandatory for safety
3. Trunk floor may be cut to accommodate fuel cell
4. O.E.M. fuel tank will be removed
5. No electrical fuel pumps allowed
6. Fuel line from trunk to the engine compartment must be steel or steel braided. No copper or rubber allowed. Any fuel line run through drivers compartment will be enclosed in rigid tubing from inside trunk area to inside engine compartment will be sealed at both ends
7. Tech inspector must approve installation
8. Fuel cell will be a minimum of 12” above ground or above centerline of rear end differential housing, whichever is higher
1. A four-post roll cage must be used with three door bars on driver’s door. Driver’s door must have 1/8” steel plate on door bars. Window net on driver’s side is mandatory. Two bars on passenger side only.
2. Cage can be braced, rearward to the frame where it starts to kick up over the rear end. Bars may be added from firewall forward to protect frame and radiator. Front firewall, front or rear hoods optional.
3. All drivers must use approved 5-point safety harness and crotch belt. The tech inspector must approve all seat belt installation. None shall be more than 5 years old
4. Driver’s suit and safety helmet mandatory. Helmet must have a Snell rating of 90 or newer. Racing shoes and gloves are mandatory. Full racing suit required. Must be approved by track tech.
5. Always stay in car with helmet and seat belts on. Do not get out of car during race unless you have a fire.
6. If hood rises during a race, go to infield immediately
7. Drive shaft and all ballast must be painted white with number of car in contrasting color. Drive shaft hoop mandatory under drive shaft 6” to 8” behind transmission tail shaft. No chains.
1. Numbers with letters are allowed. Make the letter large enough to be seen from the tower
2. Numbers must measure minimum of 22” high by a minimum of 15” wide. The thickness of the number must be no less than 3”
3. Color of the number must be contrasting with the car color
4. Numbers must be located on both doors and roof of the car. Put the roof number so it can be read from the tower when the car is in the front stretch.
5. Car number above the right rear bumper is recommended.
6. The car must be washed prior to each night’s event. Throughout the night, if the number becomes covered with mud, it must be washed before participating in the next event so the scoring team can read the number.
7. If you are caught cheating after a race, you will be disqualified for the night. You will lose winnings and points for the event. If you are caught cheating a second time, you will be barred for two weeks and lose all points for the year.
The rules and/or regulations set forth herein are designed to provide for the orderly conduct of the racing events and to establish minimum acceptable requirements for such events. These rules shall govern the condition of all events, and by participating in these events, all participants are deemed to have complied with these rules. NO EXPRESSED OR IMPLIED WARRANT OF SAFETY SHALL RESULT FROM THE PUBLICATIONS OF OR COMPLIANCE WITH THESE RULES AND/OR REGULATIONS. These rules are intended as a guide for the conduct of the sport and are in no way a guarantee against injury or death of a participant, spectator, or official.
THE PROMOTER/TRACK OFFICIALS SHALL BE EMPOWERED TO PERMIT MINOR DEVIATION FROM ANY OF THE SPECIFICATION HEREIN OR IMPOSE FURTHER RESTRICTIONS THAT IN THEIR OPINIONS DO NOT ALTER THE MINIMUM ACCEPTABLE REQUIREMENTS. NO EXPRESSED OR IMPIED WARRANTY OF SAFETY SHOULD RESULT FROM SUCH ALTERATIONS OF SPECIFICATIONS. ANY INTERPRETATION OR DEVIATION OF THESE RULES IS LEFT TO THE DISCRETION OF THE PROMOTER/TRACK OFFICIALS. PROMOTER/OFFICIAL DECISIONS ARE FINAL.